Enrolled fellow: Ioannis Pitsios
Start date: 2 May 2014
Supervisor: Dr. Roberto Osellame
Host Institution: Institute of Photonics and Nanotechnologies (CNR)/Politecnico di Milano
Duration: 36 months
Salary: 40,508.00 € per year plus mobility allowances (max 12792.00 €, min 8954.40 €, depending on the family condition).
Salary is not subject to personal income tax but only to contributions to the Italian social security system.
Integrated photonic circuits have a strong potential to implement quantum information processing in optical systems. In PICQUE, all the basic components of a photonic quantum processor will be addressed: generation, manipulation and detection of photon states. In this context, the research program at IFN-Milan will be finalized to the design, fabrication and characterization of innovative three-dimensional photonic circuits for the manipulation of quantum states of light, encompassing, but not exclusively, the following topics:
1. Demonstration and engineering of novel integrated photonic components for the manipulation of photons
2. Fabrication of complex multimode interferometers for the demonstration of the quantum computation supremacy over classical one
3. Development of highly engineered photonic circuits for quantum simulation of complex physical phenomena
4. Interfacing photonic circuits in glass with efficient photon sources and detectors
5. Investigation on the foundations of quantum mechanics with integrated quantum photonic devices
For an overview of the current activities and an updated list of published papers, see http://www.mi.ifn.cnr.it/research/fs-micromachining/Integrated-quantum-optics
Local training activities
The ESR will be involved in the research group of IFN-CNR in the Milan unit, under the supervision of Dr. Roberto Osellame. It is foreseen that the ESR be enrolled as a PhD student in Physics at the Politecnico di Milano.
MSc degree (or equivalent) in physics or engineering or disciplines close to the project research areas is required. A preferential title will be a documented experience in integrated optics.
A keen interest in pursuing research in photonic device physics, quantum optics and in particular in the microfabrication technology based on direct writing with femtosecond lasers.
Roberto Osellame: email@example.com
Link to the group page: http://www.mi.ifn.cnr.it/research/fs-micromachining